Face masks: instructions and resources
First: thank you for your order!
By wearing a 100% cotton reusable facemask in public during the COVID-19 pandemic, you are helping to flatten the curve of the rate of infection. According to the best available information at this time, while wearing a facemask is unlikely to prevent you from falling ill, what it WILL do is protect those around you if you have the virus, especially if you are asymptomatic or presymptomatic. You are also helping to keep valuable personal protective equipment (PPE) such as disposable medical masks and N95 masks in the hands of essential workers who need them the most.
Face masks are meant to be a complement to, not a replacement for, other public health protocols to limit the spread of the coronavirus. Be sure to continue to wash your hands often, stay at least 2 metres (6ft) apart from others, and follow other public health/social distancing guidelines when using your mask.
General guidelines to reduce chances of transmission when wearing a cotton facemask
- Only use a facemask once between washes. If you take your mask off for any reason but find yourself needing one again, use a fresh mask.
- Do not touch the front of your mask once you have put it on your face. You can adjust the straps or elastics, but avoid touching the area around your mouth. Wash your hands after touching any part of the mask.
How to put on and remove your masks
- Wash your hands before handling a clean mask.
- FOR MASKS WITH STRAPS: Lift the mask by the upper straps and fit it to your face above your nose with the straps above your ears, tying a bow with the strings at a comfortable height at the back of your head.
- Tie the lower strings at the base of your head, ensuring the mask covers your chin.
- Adjust the fit of the mask so that the top is comfortable against your nose, the bottom is under your chin, and the sides are flush with your cheeks.
- FOR MASKS WITH ELASTICS: Lift the mask by the elastics and fit it to your face, tucking the elastics behind your ears.
- Adjust the fit of the mask so that the top is comfortable against the bridge of your nose, the bottom is under your chin, and the sides are flush with your cheeks.
- TO REMOVE, untie the straps or hold the elastics and lift off your face, ensuring not to touch the front part of the mask. Immediately set aside to wash. Wash your hands.
Washing your facemasks
Wash your mask between each use in the hottest water setting on your washer with regular detergent. It can then be hang-dried or put in the dryer. You can iron your masks with straps on a medium heat and the cotton part of your masks with elastics, but do not iron the elastics themselves.